Opera for Windows
With Opera for Windows' speed, flexibility,
features, and security the Internet is now even more convenient.
Opera for Windows -- the browser that gives you the freedom to use
the Internet the way it was meant to be.
Simply the Best Internet Experience:
Opera 6.0 for Windows Launched After
Opera Software ASA today unleashed Opera 6.0 for
Windows, a browser with an array of new and improved features,
including a completely customizable user interface, and new speed
boosting features for improving users' Internet experience. The
previous beta version launched at COMDEX November 13, has broken all
records for a beta release, with more than 500 000 downloads in the
two weeks since the launch.
Opera 6.0 for Windows reaches out to users
accustomed to competing browsers' single document interface (SDI),
by offering an enhanced version of SDI as an added option on top of
Opera's traditional multiple document interface (MDI). Opera newbies
that are not used to browsing in MDI can now start in familiar
surroundings, immediately making use of Opera's power-user features,
and later have the option to change to Opera's more advanced MDI
Opera 5 for Windows was downloaded and installed
over 6 million times.
"Opera 6.0 was received with tremendous
enthusiasm all over the Internet," says Dean Kakridas, VP Desktop
Products, Opera Software ASA. "Opera 6 gives worldwide users of all
levels an alternative to IE and a better Internet experience on
multiple desktop platforms. We will continue to work extremely hard
to provide the home, corporate and education markets the best
browser solution possible."
With this release, Opera for the first time also
displays non-Roman alphabets, opening up the local markets in the
Asia/Pacific and Eastern European region to true browser
"Opera 5 was the wake-up call for competing
browser-makers, and the recent targeting of Opera users on
Microsoft's Web properties was an acknowledgement of Opera's
increasing popularity. Opera 6 will unsettle the big two even more,"
says Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO of Opera Software ASA. "And with a
browser that looks tremendous and has lots of new and improved
features, we are sure both new and old users will find something to
whet their browser appetite."
|OPERA 6.01 Updates
- News search from AllTheWeb added
- Support for special backward and forward buttons on
Internet keyboards and mice
- Smooth scrolling implemented, but it is off by default and
only recommended for fast systems
- Window size, scrollbars, and progress bar can be turned on
and off directly by clicking
- Improved adherence to
- Opening Opera with no windows in SDI mode, or clicking the
Opera desktop icon, will open a blank page instead of the home
- Some focus and tooltip fixes
- Keyboard shortcut combinations with AltGr
disabled in edit fields
- A keyboard shortcut, Ctrl+Shift+A, has been
added for in
- Support for Ctrl+A keyboard shortcut (select
all) in the Hotlist
button added to Java
- Updates to the opera.jar
file fixes a Java applet loading problem
- Fix for proxy authentication
- Automatic proxy configuration works better for large
- A few other issues fixed
- Subfolders in e-mail client can now be added
- Fixes to import of e-mail
- The Instant messaging client is hidden by default
- No longer necessary to hold Alt down when
dragging a bookmark to a new position
- Other minor fixes to bookmarks handling
- Bookmark file updated
- Improved memory handling
- Authenticated URLs are no longer saved in global history
- Better support for certain printer drivers
dialog will now also clear the visited date in bookmarks
- Updated Mozilla browser identification number to 4.78
- Warning added for national domain cookies that are set for
domains for which no IP address is registered
- Some display fixes
Opera 6.01 for Windows launched after record-breaking beta.
Download Opera for Windows
Download Opera 6.01
Choose between downloading the free ad-supported version with
all features and functionality included, or download and
purchase your copy of Opera for 39 USD.
All users who registered and paid for Opera 5.x for Windows
are entitled to a free upgrade to Opera 6.0 for Windows. Users
who registered and paid for Opera 4.x and who were entitled to a
free upgrade to 5.x, will not receive a free upgrade to Opera
6.x but can
at a discount.
To purchase Opera or upgrade a previously registered version
please use our purchase
Features in Opera 6.x
and Multiple Document Interface
- In the start-up dialog or in
Preferences, you can select a single or multiple document
interface (SDI or MDI).
- Double-click a word or
right-click a selected phrase and search for it, look it up in the
encyclopedia, or translate it.
- Organize and personalize your
favorite bookmarks and searches in one place.
and drop bookmarks
- Grab the top left corner of the
preferred page and drag and drop it into the Personal bar, or drag
from the Hotlist to the Personal bar.
in the Hotlist
- Customizable panels with HTML
content can be added to the Hotlist.
and/or sort bookmarks
- Search for a specific bookmark
in the Hotlist. Sort your bookmarks by title, when visited, when
created or by a personal ordering system.
menu entries under
- Import or export e-mail,
contacts, and/or bookmarks from Opera, Netscape and internet
Multiple contact icons
- Contacts in the Hotlist can be
given special icons according to the users choice.
Multilingual (Unicode) support
- Opera 6.0 includes support for
Unicode, which allows the display of non-Latin characters in the
- Opera 6.0 has full support for
LiveConnect, a Netscape technology which enables scripting of Java
- What's new in
Opera 6.0 for Windows
- Read about all the new features in 6.0.
- This page contains a list of keyboard shortcuts to speed up
- This page contains a list of smart mouse moves, like the
- More features
- Read more about the features, some of
which are exclusive to Opera for Windows.
- Change log
- The change logs details the changes made from previous
- Standards support
- This page documents Opera for Windows'
- Knowledge base
- Typical answers to Frequently (and not
so frequently) Asked Questions.
- Subscribe to receive information about new releases.
- News group
- There's a lot of information in here. Discuss anything from
problems, to new feature requests.
- Bug reports
- If you find any bugs, please submit a
bug report. This form should only be used for submitting